10/07/2008

Shepard Fairey

Urban/graphic artist


LA Philharmonic Hall
concert series poster



Operation Oil Freedom



Rock the Vote



Mujer Fatal



Penguin Books cover



Bomb It movie poster



War is Over



Drop Sneakers Not Bombs
Active skate shoes campaign



MSTRKRFT/Z-Trip album cover



Billy Idol album design



Penguin Books cover











War For Sale











Kiss Me Deadly



One Hell of a Leader



(thegiant.org)



NineteenEightyFouria exhibit
(caughtinthecrossfire.com)



Shepard Fairey in front of one of his installations
(telegraph.co.uk)



Vestal Shepard Fairey Watch


Wikipedia bio
Obey Giant
Obey manifesto

"I never set out to be a groundbreaking artist, in the sense of doing something that's never been done before. I set out to make stuff that communicated quickly and effectively, playing off of advertising, pop art, and pop culture. I thought, "If I'm going to put my work in the street, it really has to stand out from all the clutter." I wanted it to be analogous to the way advertising functions. I based the images, the style, the color palette on things that had worked on me."

Reader's Comment: "A copy is a copy - if you are of the opinion it's ok to use other people's work, then you shouldn't kick up a stink when other people use yours. And it smells like hypocrisy when the artist blasts those who copy his copies."
Mother Jones interview


The diabetes has also affected his eyesight, at one point causing temporary blindness.
Telegraph feature